Tuesday 1 February 2011

Cindy Lesley

I am a Yuin woman from the lands surrounding
Wallaga Lake. I have family connections from the South Coast to the North Coast NSW, this is where I live and work within the Nations of Bundjalung, Yaegl and Gumbaingirr countries.

I lived on the streets from the age of 14, I was lost, I had lost my identity, lost who I was and what direction I was to go. I was an alcoholic by the age of 18, I have lived a very diverse and challenging life, I was illiterate until aged 29.
In 1998 I woke from the nightmare and began learning about me, regaining my identity, became stronger with the guidance of Elders, family and friends I became who I am today, determined to achieve in all aspects of life.

Since commencing my journey of learning I have been successfully completed several Certificate qualifications in the area of Social Welfare ranging from Certificate III to Diploma level courses and completing a Bachelors in Social Sciences – Welfare. I intend on continuing the journey of learning for life as it is through learning we become stronger and more determined to move forward and bring with us those who wish to share the journey.

I have over 20 years experience in Human Services Sector in a number of roles such as Frontline staff, Support worker, Management, Behaviour Management Programmer, Policy and Research. I was a counsellor for over 4 years where I worked closely with my communities in addressing various life impacting issues on both an individual and community level, supporting many to build and achieve their dreams. Organisations I have worked with include; Department of Community Service, Juvenile Justice, BALA Youth Work, Grafton Aged Care, Ageing Disability and Home Care, Personal Support Programme, Thungutti – Miindala Consultancy, Coffs Harbour Support Services and North Coast TAFE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.